How TruWest Credit Union came to be
TruWest Credit Union was originally chartered as Motorola Credit Union of Arizona in 1952. In 1982, it was renamed Motorola Employees Credit Union-West.
Rufus Coulter, former head of personnel for Motorola's Government Electronics Group,
was responsible for the modest beginnings of the Credit Union. Coulter reportedly
collected only $5 from seven Motorolans, thereby launching what would later become
a thriving financial institution in the Phoenix and Austin areas. He served as
the first president of the Credit Union and remained a member of the Board until
Since its humble start, several enhancements have been made to the Credit Union.
The membership has grown, branch locations have been added, field of membership
(areas from which TruWest can accept members from) has expanded, and products and
services have been added and improved.
In 2002, the Credit Union received approval from the Arizona State Banking Department
and the Credit Union members to expand membership availability (field of membership)
to anyone living or working in the east Valley. Members also approved the Credit
Union's request to change its name and on January 1, 2003, Motorola Employees
Credit Union-West was renamed TruWest Credit Union.
In 2004, TruWest Credit Union sought and received approval to expand membership
availability to anyone living or working and any businesses in Maricopa County,
Arizona and Travis County, Texas.
Today, TruWest Credit Union has more than 60,000 members and assets totaling over $750 million.
There are 13 branch locations - 9 in the metro-Phoenix area and 4
in Austin, Texas.